The name "Ruritan" is a combination of the Latin words for open country (ruri) and small town (tan) and are together interpreted as pertaining to rural and small town life.
Copyright © 2019 | Davidsonville Ruritan Foundation | davidsonvilleruritan.org | All rights reserved
Davidsonville Ruritan Foundation
Davidsonville is located in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, less than an hour's drive from Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and the Maryland state capital of Annapolis. The rural-suburban community's geographic center is at the crossroads of Davidsonville Road (the north-south Route 424) and Central Avenue (the east-west Route 214).
The first Ruritan club was chartered on May 21, 1928 in Holland, Virginia. Since then the Ruritan has grown to become one of America’s leading community service organizations. The Davidsonville Ruritan Club — which was chartered on April 28, 1955, with 35 members — was formed to promote better understanding between rural and urban people through volunteer service. The membership has consisted of a range of occupations including, among many others, doctors, lawyers, CPAs, business owners, civil servants, educators and of course farmers.
The Davidsonville Ruritan Foundation was incorporated on March 3, 1969, to manage the charitable activities of the organization. The Foundation, which holds a 501(c)3 nonprofit tax status, serves Davidsonville and the surrounding areas by providing athletic fields for use by community youth, sponsoring four-year college scholarships for graduating high school seniors, supporting local Scouting troops and making gifts to schools, nursing homes and nonprofits that benefit needy individuals and families.